At California Dental Group in Orange CA, we are dedicated to providing outstanding dental services. Our board-certified dentists perform various dental restoration procedures including Root Canal Therapy, Dental Implants, and Inlay Restorations.
In addition, we also perform Composite Fillings, Dentures & Partial Dentures, Fixed Bridges, and so forth. Our dental restoration procedures are guaranteed to restore the lost glory of your teeth and gums. Orange Hill Dental Group is the ideal dental office for all your minor and complex dental procedures.
What Is Root Canal Treatment?
Having some dental pain? Root canal treatment is a pretty straight forward procedure which simply involves removing infections from inside a tooth. It is also called “endodontic therapy.” Endodontic is coined from two Greek words “Endo” which means inside, and “Odont” which means tooth.
This treatment is used in killing bacterial activities inside the teeth and treating a damaged tooth. The primary goal is saving the tooth, and it deals with infections that are deep within the pulp of a tooth.
Why Do You Need The Procedure?
Oftentimes, the symptoms that indicate the need for a root canal treatment are tooth pain, swollen gums that are tender to touch, pains when eating (when biting down on the particular tooth or teeth).
The procedure is necessary to be done when the pulp gets infected or showing signs of inflammation as a result of deep tooth decay, tooth injury and so on. If these infections are left untreated, it causes excess pain to the affected tooth and even poses serious health concerns to the whole body.
During ancient times, infections to the tooth cause serious pain that leads to the removal of the affected tooth. However, fortunately in these recent times, the infected tooth doesn’t have to be removed as it can be treated with this procedure and the patient still keep his/her original tooth.
Root canal treatment is relatively cheap compared to other procedures like dental implants. Also when root canal treatment is performed, fillings and dental crowns help in protecting the tooth from future infections.
What Are The Steps Involved In Root Canal Treatment?
During the root canal treatment, the dentist will do the following:
- Take the radiograph of the affected tooth using X-rays.
- Apply anesthetics to numb the patient’s affected tooth area.
- Protect the teeth with a rubber dam to isolate from saliva.
- Make an opening on the tooth using a file, getting all the way down to the root canal and the infected pulp.
- Instruments are then used in cleaning the pulp from the roots. Then shaping it for filling.
- The fillings are done by applying “gutta-percha”, a latex material that will be used to replace the pulp, then the “gutta-percha” gets condensed into the root canals for better firm.
- Temporary filling is placed on the surface to close the opening, it will be removed before the tooth is restored.
- Lastly, if needed, the dentist can put a crown and other restorations on the tooth for protection, restoring to full function.
Contact Us Today!
For more information about our dental services and procedures, contact us today at California Dental Group in Orange CA. Our board-certified dentist, Joseph P. Sabet, DDS, will be available to discuss with you. We will attend to you promptly and excellent. Orange Hill Dental Group is just the ideal place to restore your smile and confidence.